Friday, August 17, 2012

Bomb Korean Spelling Skills...

안녕!!!
Alright, so right now in this moment I want to talk about my Korean language and culture process. It all really started a while ago...like 5th grade a while ago. In that 5th grade class we had to do a project on another country. I chose Korea because I liked the way their language was written and the women's traditional clothes, the haenbok. (*I also liked their flag which reminded me of the Pepsi logo.) Then for a while I forgot about my interest in Korea because at the time I was WAY more interested in Japan.

Korea came back to me to me like a summer or two ago. The first K-Pop song I heard by Super Junior (슈퍼주니어) called Mr. Simple. I absolutely fell in love with that song, music video, and of course boys. I loved the beat, the voices, and how so unrealistic those guys looked. Like something straight out of a manga book or anime. Then I heard music from 2NE1 and 2PM. I liked their music as well.

Then that summer when I fell in love with Korea all over again I watched my first K-Drama. I will never forget it because it was the best. The show was called City Hunter. (*If you are in to Korean Drama's and you don't know this show then you need to figure it out.) The main character is played by one of the cutest Korean guys I have ever seen. Lee Min Ho (이민호). From then K-Drama's have been the only things I watch. Just from watching them I have learned so much about the culture and the language. (*It's easy to catch on to the meaning of a lot of words since they use them all the time in every K-drama show.) I also watch Korean movies of course which are quite simple yet very intricate.

Yeah, so while I was watching my first Korean show, City Hunter, I was learning about the Korean language. It literally only took me like 3-4hrs to understand and have the Korean alphabet memorized. It was ridiculous how simple and easy it was for me to get it. Of course I learned that from free websites and I told myself that once I've gotten serious about learning the language, (*because I've tried learning Japanese and German in the past, bought all kinds of stuff to learn the language, but never followed through....), I would buy more things to help myself learn. The first book I got was from Amazon and it was Korean for Beginners. It only cost like $13, give or take a few $$$. I learned a good amount from that but I still haven't gotten completely through the book just yet. Then some months later I was introduced to Talk to me in Korean from someone I was messaging online. That website is AWESOME!!! I learned a whole lot more and understood the reason for why their language is written in the order it is and other such things.

Moving on to this summer, my uncle promised me that he would get me the Rosetta Stone software for Korean language before I left to come back home in Texas. Sure enough the last two days I was there he got it for me and installed it on to my laptop. He told me that I had better learn some good Korean since he went to all the trouble to get it for me. :) He said, 'The next time I see you I want to hear you speaking full Korean.' I told him, 'Well, I can speak it right now.', which of course proceeded to him asking me how to say various things in the language. I was so proud of myself for being able to answer him what he said in English in Korean. BOOM BABAY!!!

It has been a good few months and I am okay with the language. My vocabulary isn't big enough to understand EVERYTHING, but I do catch on to a bit of things and I can tell positive statements from negatives one to get the feel of what's being said. The only problem is that I'm very nervous about writing in Korean. I worry that I'm putting words in the wrong place and/or placing topic marking particles/subject marking particles with the wrong words. Stuff like that I worry about. But I'm okay with translating romanized in to Korean. I just sent a penpal request to a Korean girl and her name was in romanization which I wrote to her in Korean and asked if I spelled it correctly. Sure enough I did! I felt so accomplished with myself.
~~~~~
I'm still learning all about the culture. I've got some more understanding of the language. Now I need to try some more Korean foods. In a post that I deleted I went on and on about my first Korean meal in a Japanese sushi restaurant. It was called a Korean Bento Box which had bulgogi (불거기), rice (밥), kimchi (김치), Korean roll (김밥), salad, and oranges. It was pretty beast too. I wasn't too big of a fan on the way the kimchi was served because it was chilled. It might have been a lot better for me if it were warmed up.
~~~~~
Well, that's it for now really. Have to get ready my 2nd day of work. YAY!!! Getting more and more independent. I'll save my independence for another day and blog post.

Soooo...until I have something else interesting to write about, you have read the *~Secrets~*

No comments:

Post a Comment